JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) is partnering with the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) and Quail Forever (QF) to provide mentored hunts for first-time dove hunters eight years of age or older on five sunflower fields located on private land across the state and one on public land.
Hunts will be offered on the private and public fields on opening day of dove season, Sept. 1. Additional hunts will be offered on the private fields later in season. The specific dates will be determined by the participating landowners. Each field will be limited to 16-20 hunter/mentor pairs per hunt to maximize safety and provide a quality experience.
Participants must first attend a hunter-orientation workshop where they will learn about dove biology and management, the importance of hunters and hunting, hunter safety, and will have the opportunity to practice shooting a shotgun. No equipment is necessary for the workshops or hunts. Hunters 8-15 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during both the pre-hunt workshop and the hunt. Participants will be provided more details via email prior to the workshop.
The hunter-orientation workshops will be held:
- Meadville - Aug. 10, 1-5 p.m., MDC Fountain Grove Conservation Area;
- Kirksville - Aug. 17, 1-5 p.m., MDC Northeast Regional Office;
- Kahoka - Aug. 21, 5:30-9 p.m., Private farm with directions to be provided;
- High Ridge - Aug. 21, 5:30-9 p.m., MDC Jay Henges Shooting Range;
- Parkville - Aug. 27, 28, and 29, 5:30-8:30 p.m., MDC Parma Woods Shooting Range;
- Williamsburg - Aug. 30, 1-5 p.m., MDC Prairie Fork Conservation Area;
- Ash Grove - Aug. 30, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., MDC Andy Dalton Shooting Range; and
- Cape Girardeau - Aug. 30, 8 a.m.- Noon, MDC Apple Creek Trap and Skeet Range.
That sounds fun!
I went to the very first groom expo in PA they had and the contest at the time then was a "mat" contest. Bring a mat decorated/groomed/whatever to be something else.... that was pretty off the wall and actually quite fun.
Scavenger hunt would be cool.... in all these years I've certainly acquired some oddball items and the packrat in me won't let me toss anything out:)